Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Slovakia!!!

Slovakia was filled with warm hostpitality, castles, and some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen! Dasa showed me places that I never would have figured out how to get to on my own. She shared her family with me and even took me to the castle where she worked at as a tour guide during highschool... while translating all the while. I found myself laughing a whole lot even though I spoke very very little Slovak. It is an amazing place! Dasa and her mom showed me around Nitra.
Dasa's mom cooked us a tasty dinner and then took us out for some warm spiced wine to keep us from getting too cold!
The view from Dasa's window in Nitra! Can you believe it? Amazing!
Zvolen's Castle:
Dasa's mom packed us a huge lunch for the road (with Zvolen's castle in the background)!

Dasa's father and brother, Miro, greeted us in Nitra. They treated me like a princess! Dasa's father said that he wanted to treat me well because I was the first American ever in their flat, and he wanted to make a good impression. He joked that I might have been the first American in their whole eight story building!
Looking over Bratislava:

Dasa's University in Bratislava:
The Slovak National Palace and some goofballs taking action shots in front of it:
As an environmental engineer, I appreciated the sewer man statue in Bratislava.
Bratislava's castle:
We met up with Martin and another friend in Bratislava. It was great to see Martin again. It felt like old times in Tampere.
Thanks for a fun and memorable trip Dasa and family!!!

No comments: